How Long Can I Use My Reusable Pads? And Why Does It Matter?
It’s tough being a woman. It seems there are a million things to worry about. Eating the right food, taking time for yourself, finding a balance between recharging and working towards your goals.
And then there’s the monthly budget. How are you going to pay your bills and still afford to take care of yourself in a sustainable way that's in line with your core values?
With this budget comes the need to care for your period. The products you use can take their toll on your wallet, not to mention your body, and your planet.
And speaking of your period, let’s face it: disposable menstrual product options will only lead you right back to where you started – at the store, buying more products, and possibly exposing yourself to the hidden chemicals those products may contain.
That’s why making the choice to switch to a more earth-friendly, reusable option may be the best decision for your feminine health.
When considering a reusable pad, you may ask yourself – how long will it last?
- What are the benefits of having an item that withstands the test of time?
- And what can a reusable pad do for your body and your budget?
Let’s learn why reusable pads are an ideal long-term option, and how they're a perfect addition to a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.
How Long Can I Use a Reusable Menstrual Pad?
For the long-term and with proper care, our LillyPads last up to 5 years on average.¹
Which is pretty amazing when you consider the following:
- In the average menstrual lifetime of about 38 years, a woman will use 8,000-17,000 pads or tampons.²
- Yearly, 12 billion pads are thrown away in the U.S. alone.
- Women spend $13.25 monthly on menstrual products. This amount comes to $6,042 in her lifetime!³
For disposables, that’s a whole lot of waste!
In contrast, using reusable pads over the course of 5 years will prevent 2,000 pads from entering the landfill. Plus, you’ll save approximately $795 on menstrual products in that time frame.
And for an added benefit, remember the length of time a reusable pad can last means you don’t have to travel with excess baggage. If you love the outdoors, camping, and being in nature, a few pads is all you’ll need to take with you on your next adventure. And if you’re on a shoestring budget, it’s one less thing to worry about at the end of the month.
But before you make the switch to reusables, you may be asking what the difference is between reusables and disposables.
When you use a disposable, you’re not only purchasing a one-and-done product, you’re also buying excessive chemicals and plastic. So, the products that end up in the landfills stay in the landfills. They’re extra durable to destruction. But not in a good way.
Disposables also come with a slew of chemicals like furans, dioxins, pesticides, and fragrances. These chemicals can interfere with hormone production and can cause cancer, reproductive and developmental problems.
To learn more about what these and other chemicals can do to your body and hormones, check out our blog How To Work With Your Cycle and Harness Your Womanly Power.
The bottom line – with reusables, you are doing your part to:
- reduce disposable waste
- protect yourself from their harmful chemicals
- make budget-friendly choices
It’s a no-brainer!
You Can Wear Reusable Pads for Longer Periods of Time.
Please excuse the pun...
But before you dismiss using disposable menstrual pads as being not a big deal, consider this: Our reusable LillyPads have no plastic – making them “breathe” easier.
This is important when you consider that the length of time you use a pad in a single turn can have implications on your health. The longer you use a pad before changing it out can increase the chances of infection due to moisture exposure. So, choosing a pad that has the capability of allowing excess moisture to evaporate is key.
And ladies – less moisture means less chance of bacteria growth.¹ This adds an extra barrier of protection for you and your lady-bits.
And that’s what sets LillyPads apart from the rest! They stay dryer longer because they allow moisture to evaporate.
What’s more – with our reusable pads, you’re given the same – if not more – usage each time.
To put this in perspective, check this out.
On average, women will change out a disposable pad every 6 hours. Depending on your flow, our reusable version can provide protection for up to 10 hours!
But don’t just take our word for it.
Katie B., a satisfied customer who suffers from heavy flow and clotting wrote in, “I couldn't believe the absorbance WITHOUT odor, [with] one pad [my] day 2 flow lasted 8 hours (I finally removed it because I thought for certain it needed to by then) but no leak, stain, wetness, odor.”
Pretty cool, huh?
Want to Extend the Life of Your Reusable Pad? Here’s How.
Now, like with anything you buy, it’s important to take care of your LillyPads. The better you take care of them, the longer they’ll last.
To help you on your reusable journey, we’ve put together a simple guide to make taking care of your LillyPads a breeze.⁴
- First and foremost – cold water is your friend. Soaking your pad for a minimum of 30 seconds in cold water is essential for getting blood out of any material. Whatever you do, do not use hot water. It will set stains.
- Another tip: face the pad down when soaking. This allows the blood to fall from the pad, rather than causing it to soak deeper into the material. Gravity is your friend in this situation.
- After soaking your pad, run it through cold water until the water runs clear.
- Wash with PH balanced soap – either by hand or in the washing machine. If you’re using a washing machine, we recommend you put your pads in a bra pouch.
- Reshape and hang your pads out to dry naturally. This will allow your pads to maintain their shape for longer.
- A bonus tip: if you can, dry them in direct sunlight, for two reasons. One: sunlight prevents further staining. And two: sunlight acts as a natural sanitizer. And hey – there’s nothing better than the smell of sunshine.
Some other tips you may want to consider:
- Baking soda is great for getting out pesky stains.
- Add a splash of white vinegar into your wash. This keeps the fabric soft. (A side note – you should try this with all your laundry. OMG… this is a laundry game changer.)
With these simple tips your LillyPads can last 5 years or even longer.
Wanna Live Your Best Life? Make the Switch to Reusable Pads!
Look. We know that a lot goes into the choices you make on a daily basis. And we want to provide a solution. A solution that provides the peace of mind in knowing you’re getting a product that gives the best protection for your body (and your panty line). A solution that keeps giving those benefits for months and years to come.
And let’s not forget how your period can affect Mother Earth. Menstrual protection plays a big role in how she’s treated. A LillyPad is the option that protects her while it’s protecting you. (And by the way – this sustainable pad came from Mama Earth in the first place. All the more reason to do her a solid.)
Being a woman comes with its challenges. Whatever challenges your period may bring, choose an option like our LillyPads to help you live your best life.